Archives Search

Place Names Search Results

Record 1 of 1
Revise Search New Search Back to search results
Eburne Island
Type:
Island
Origin:
Eburne, W. H. (Harry)
History:
William (Harry) Eburne (1855-1924) arrived on Sea Island in February 1875 and purchased Eburne Island (DL 528) in 1878. He opened a general store on Sea Island which became the North Arm Post Office in 1885. Eburne was a well-known businessman and chicken farmer and his name was given to the business district that emerged in the area now known as Marpole. Eburne Island was joined by infill to Twigg Island in 1922, and Twigg Island was subsequently joined by infill to Mitchell Island in 1926.
Source:
Macdonald, Bruce. "Vancouver, a Visual History". Vanncouver: Talonbooks, 1992.; Thomas, Kidd. "History of Lulu Island and Occasional Poems". Richmond: Wrigley Printing Company Limited 1927, reprinted by Richmond Printers Ltd. 1973, reprinted by City of Richmond Archives 2007.; Map of some historical features and sites in Richmond, [197-?], City of Richmond Archvies, 1985 157 1
Later Version of Name:
Twigg Island; Mitchell Island
Related Places:
Eburne|split|Eburne School|split|Eburne Station

Permalink

Revise Search New Search Back to search results