Archives Search

All Records Search Results

Richmond United Church collection
Part Of:
Richmond United Church collection
Community Records
textual records; graphic; moving images
Physical Description:
27 cm of textual records
Collection consists of minutes, financial and administrative records, records relating to Minoru Chapel, correspondence and pamphlets, and records of celebrations and events.
History / Biographical:
On May 9, 1888 the Richmond Mission was constituted by action of the Methodist conference. The congregation met in their church at London's Landing (built in 1887), the Shaw and Daniels homes, and the Steveston church (built about 1891). The North Arm parsonage and the municipal hall, then situated at Cambie and River Roads were also used until their new North Arm church was built in 1891 (to replace the old one built across the river around 1870). The church was known as the Richmond Methodist Church until church union in 1925, when it became Richmond United Church. Following population trends, a new Church was opened a quarter of a mile farther east on Cambie in 1961, and in that year council bought the old property. The church was moved to its present location in Minoru Park in 1967, restored and preserved as a municipal Centennial project. It was rededicated in 1968. From 1958-1983, Richmond United and Sea Island United were part of a two-point pastoral charge, after which Sea Island joined with Brighouse United. In 1985, Richmond United again joined with Sea Island to become part of the two-point charge. Richmond United Church is a part of Vancouver-South Presbytery.Minoru Chapel.
Richmond United Church
East Richmond United Church
Brighouse United Church
Richmond Methodist Church
London's Landing (B.C.)
Comment on this record via email
View and download images