Eric Anderson family fonds
- Part Of:
- Eric Anderson family fonds
- Community Records
- textual records; graphic; cartographic material; architectural drawings; technical drawings
- Physical Description:
- 8 cm of graphic and other materials
- The fonds consists of a small amount of business and personal records accumulated by Eric Anderson, as well as family photographs accumulated by both Eric Anderson and his wife, Hilda Anderson (nee Skuse). Records reflect the Anderson's involvement in horse racing activities in Richmond, as well as their affiliation with the Richmond Lions Club. As well, records document Eric Anderson's involvement with his family's masonry business, and both Eric's and Hilda's lives as children and young adults. Records have been arranged in two series: 1. Eric Anderson business and personal records; 2. Anderson and Skuse family photographs.
- History / Biographical:
- Eric Percival Anderson was born in Richmond on February 11, 1914. His father, G.H. Anderson moved to Richmond from England with his wife, Lucy, at the beginning of the 20th century. The couple lived on Bennett Road, and G.H. Anderson worked as a brick contractor. In 1910, he established the masonry business G.H. Anderson and Sons. Eric Anderson attended school in Richmond with his older brother, Henry, and younger sister, Eunice. In the late 1920s, he began working with his father and brother in the family business. The brothers later ran the business together, until Henry Anderson was elected Reeve of Richmond in 1960, at which time he became a silent partner in the business as Eric took over its operation. Eric Anderson married Hilda Emily May Skuse (born May 15, 1915). Hilda Skuse’s parents, Herb and Emily Skuse, owned Skuse’s Shoes on No. 3 Road, and Hilda attended school with Eric and Henry Anderson’s sister, Eunice. Hilda had two brothers, Art and Herb. Eric and Hilda Anderson had four children, and were both very involved in community life. Both were active in the Richmond Lions Club, and Eric Anderson served as a volunteer fire fighter, acted as campaign manager for his brother, and was instrumental in establishing a baseball league at Brighouse Park. In the mid-to-late 1950’s, Eric developed an interest in owning racehorses, and, with Hilda’s brother Art and his wife Lexie, bought two thoroughbred horses, Mariontex and August Morn. Eric Anderson died August 29, 1992. Hilda Anderson died January 24, 2001.
- Custodial History:
- Records were kept in the Anderson family home until the death of Hilda Anderson, at which time they were passed on to Eric and Hilda Anderson's daughter Patti Latchford. One exception is item 2005 78 1 whose custodial history is unknown.
- Anderson family
Anderson, Hilda (nee Skuse)
- Eric Anderson family
- Comment on this record via email
- View and download images